7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 12:35 AM by rafael bacud RSS

3G for M2M in Canada and USA

Brett R Newbie

Hello,

I am very interested to know the progress on M2M using 3G in Canada and USA. 

I am new to this and not clear on the understanding of migration (if there is??) from 2G to 3G in Canada and USA.

I have read that ROGERS in CANADA is converting 2G towers to 3G and would like to get a better understanding on this evolution.

I am working on a project (in Toronto, ON) that requires M2M and there are 2G dead-zones

Can anyone please point me to where "current reliable info on M2M - 2G to 3G changes> I also am looking for a detailed map of 2G towers in Toronto.

Thank you in advance

• Re: 3G for M2M in Canada and USA
    Tony Yang Novice

Hi

There are many M2M applications using 2G/3G on the whole world. When the data flow is small, we use GPRS. If transmit video or large data, we chose 3G.

Power supply monitor and control system.jpg

Failover between DSL and 3G.jpg

If signal is bad, we usually use two ways to try, change big antenna or change installation site. In most cases, the ISP will not add a new tower for few users.

Shenzhen Yinghua Technology Co.,Ltd

---Manufacturer of Industrial GPRS/CDMA/3G Modem and Router

Http:// www.yinghuatn.com

Tel:+86-755-36690123 Fax:+86-755-36690121

Email: service@yinghuatn.com

jpascual Novice

Hi Brett,

Although there have been many discussions by various operators around their 2G/3G strategy there is not definitive timeline around when operators will ultimately shut down their slower networks, if at all.  Your best bet is to reach out to the various operators in the U.S./CAN and ask their sales people if there have been timelines set around the sunset of their slower networks.  With spectrum being so scarce the operators are scrambling to "reharvest" their spectrum from the slower networks and enable it for the higher 4G LTE services.

You might be able to dig up information on your own around the question of services available in TO.  Typically the operators will make coverage maps available and then designating 2G from 3G from 4G.  This might give you a better sense of what might be available just by inputting an address or zip code.  You will be hard pressed to get a detailed map of where the operators have towers.  That stuff is highly confidential.

Richard Sloan Newbie

Can you keep me informed on this, I am also after the same information and will let you know what I find out also. I too have been told by others to ask questions direct to the different carriers directly.

Ian Lin Newbie

Hello Brett,

2G is short for second-generation wireless telephone technology. Second generation 2G cellular telecom networks were commercially launched on the GSM standard inFinland by Radiolinja (now part of Elisa Oyj) in 1991.[1] Three primary benefits of 2G networks over their predecessors were that phone conversations were digitally encrypted; 2G systems were significantly more efficient on the spectrum allowing for far greater mobile phone penetration levels; and 2G introduced data services for mobile, starting with SMS text messages. 2G network allows for much greater penetration intensity. 2G technologies enabled the various mobile phone networks to provide the services such as text messages, picture messages and MMS (multi media messages). All text messages sent over 2G are digitally encrypted, allowing for the transfer of data in such a way that only the intended receiver can receive and read it.

3G, short for third Generation, is the third generation of mobile telecommunications technology.[1]

3G telecommunication networks support services that provide an information transfer rate of at least 200 kbit/s. Later 3G releases, often denoted 3.5G and 3.75G, also provide mobile broadband access of several Mbit/s to smartphones and mobile modems in laptop computers.

3G finds application in wireless voice telephony, mobile Internet access, fixed wireless Internet access, video calls and mobile TV.

We are the professional manufacturer of industrial router/modem for M2M.We have a strong and professinoal technical team can give you technical support.Please feel free to contact with us for M2M device.

Best regards,

Ian Lin (Mr)

Regional Sales Manager

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xiamen Four-Faith Communication Technology Co., Ltd.

J1-J3,3rd Floor, No.44, Guanri Road,Software Park,

Xiamen, 361008, China

Tel:+86-592-5907 276

Fax:+86-592-5912 735

Mobile: +86-15980759210

Email:  ian@four-faith.com

MSN: ianfourfaith@hotmail.com

http://www.four-faith.com/

jack chan Novice

E-lins Series 3G HSPA+ Router Compatible with HSPA+/HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS/EVDO/EDGE/GPRS/GSM networks, tested in the field (refer to datasheet for details). 2G/3G and WAN connection Backup guarantees an "Always-online" Internet connection.