15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 12:10 AM by Tony Yang RSS

M2M modules

Hi, I wanted to know which all certifications are required to sell your own made M2M modules. Or is it advisable to start with other manufactures modules in the beginning and then go for own modules. 

• Re: M2M modules
    Curtis Govan Expert

Hi Magesh,

Unless you're planning on selling 1 million plus, I recommend using/reselling existing modules.  Depending on where you're planning to sell or deploy, the module will require the local country's regulatory certifications, then the operator certifications.  Also, the cost of the certifications could be up to $500K USD or more and take 6-12 months to complete.

In which country are you looking to sell or deploy?

Regards,

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the information. I will be deploying M2M services in India to start off with.

Furthermore, if its just about the cost parameters then i can get the hardware made here in approx half the price when compared to other module providers, so the certification cost should be recovered after few modules.

If you can help me with any guidelines or information regarding selling modules in India, that will be really appreciated.

Regards,

Magesh

Curtis Govan Expert

Hi Magesh,

I'm not an expert on the requirements for India, but I do know that the regulatory agency is the WIRELESS PLANNING & COORDINATION (WPC) Wing of the Ministry of Communications.  The cost for certification is <$5k USD and it takes 4-8 weeks to complete the certification.

For module development costs, the largest cost is not the certification fees, it's the licensing fees for the chipset manufacturers.  Those can be up to $2M USD, depending on the technology of the chipset.

Regards,

Curtis

Hi,

Thanks Curtis for that information.

The i guess what can be done is getting the chips from the established companies like Cinterion, Telit ect. and then assembling a module with own brand name and getting the required certification for that just like the mobile manufactures do.

Can you please enlighten me on this.

Regards,

Magesh

Curtis Govan Expert

Hi Magesh,

If you work with the module manufacturers, the option is to become a local distributor/reseller.  This removes the need for you to get any certifications, unless they don't already have them and that's a part of the agreement.  I'm certain all of the aforementioned manufacturers have the appropriate certifications; however, if you have to get the module certified, you would certainly be the exclusive distributor.

As for rebranding, that could be an option, as well.  The manufacturers would be best to answer that question. If the financials are good enough, it's probably an option.

Regards,

Curtis

Curtis Govan Expert

Hi Magesh,

If you work with the module manufacturers, the option is to become a local distributor/reseller.  This removes the need for you to get any certifications, unless they don't already have them and that's a part of the agreement.  I'm certain all of the aforementioned manufacturers have the appropriate certifications; however, if you have to get the module certified, you would certainly be the exclusive distributor.

As for rebranding, that could be an option, as well.  The manufacturers would be best to answer that question. If the financials are good enough, it's probably an option.

Regards,

Curtis

makuda Novice

Hi,

I didn't get your point. Cinterion, Telit sell ready modules not chipsets. I'm not sure how it could help you to lower the price on the market? I would rather try with Chinese companies, espesially 2G you can get very cheap there, but in most cases you can forget about any integration support.

BR Jack

Hi,
              No they do sell chip sets which then u can configure as per your requirements. By lowering the price i meant by assembling the module with your own brand and in long run you can recover the manpower and license cost.

About Chinese companies, there is Simcom which offers you same solutions but I havent checked on their prices but iam sure it would be cheaper than Telit and Cinterion. All of these should provide integration support.

Regarding 2G modules, i have just came to know that a major telecom company has recently told that they would be not providing support for 2G devices due to technology up gradations from next year.

Regards

Magesh

Hi Mahesh,

I would like to know which modules/chipset you using to make your products.

I am planning to buy modules from simcom/telit to make home security systems.

Please share if you have any experience in using GSM modules to make your products.

And also I don't understand about certifications needed in India to sell these.

Thanks

Ramprasad

Tony Yang Novice

Hi Ramprasad

There are many M2M modules could be used in most countries. Such as Huawei, ZTE, Telit, Sierra, SIMCOM and so on. Our company are producing M2M routers and modems. Mostly we use Huawei and ZTE module. They are working very well.

Tony

Shenzhen Yinghua Technology Co.,Ltd

---Focusing On Wireless Communication

Tel:+86-755-36690123 Fax:+86-755-36690121

Email: service@yinghuatn.com