6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2012 6:15 PM by Eric Ratliff RSS

Newbie looking for information of M2M platforms + SIM provisioning

I'm evaluating several M2M platforms, such as Jasper, Axeda, and Digi.  These platforms seem like a great way to accelerate creation of a connected device and the web pages needed to display data from a connect device.  I'm hoping this great forum can help me answer a few basic questions:

1. Has anyone created a M2M platform comparison document or website?  Something that compares the pros and cons to each M2M platform?  It would be a big help.
  2. I want to learn more about Jaspers platform, but this website doesn't seems to host any sort of SDK documentation.  Am I required to purchase a Dev kit to learn about Jasper's platform? At this point I'm just looking for information on the functionality or architectual diagrams and I cannot find them anywhere.
  3. I'm curious about how most connected devices provision themselves onto a GSM data service.  Do developers write there own automation code to send these AT commands or do the various M2M platforms contain some magic fairy dust to help simplify this process?  Some of the M2M platforms I've researched talk about "provisioning", but I think they are talking about provisioning database space for data...or enabling alerts and that sort of thing within their own cloud space.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Newbie looking for information of M2M platforms + SIM provisioning
    Apprentice

Hello Steve, all great questions, certainly one way to learn about each of the platforms is to have a demo account.  There are some basic things to look at. 

1. Where are you planning to deploy?  Will it require working with multiple Operators, if so do they all support or use the same platform or do I have to do individual integrations?

2. What does my business model call for, do I need tools that allow me to monitor for exception behavior and create actions based upon those events or do I just need to turn SIMs on and off?

3. I don't think you will find detailed information about each of these platforms until you actually sign up for a Developer Kit or similar.  After all, each of the companies you mention have IP they want to protect and require some level of NDA to open up the details. 

4. When you talk about provisioning, and you even elude to this a little yourself, what type of provisioning are you referring too?  From the platform perspective most would assume you have provided the needed APN names and credentials for accessing the network, when your device makes a request to use a service, lets say data to simplify the answer, then your device should pass those attributes along with the service request.  The platform should then evaluate the status of the services like, is this service type allowed, is the SIM in a provisioning state to allow traffic etc.  Where the real power of the platform comes in is not that it allows your device to connect if all of those items are correct, but how it manages that request, for instance when the device connects can it create an actionable event to trigger a business process, can that provisioning state be managed dynamically when an event happens, such as usage over a certain amount, or connecting more than twice a day?  Provisioning is fundamental to all of the platforms, business enablement based upon that happening is where the differentiation starts.

Your right to be looking in depth at these platforms, you will find there is a tremndous amount of differentiation between them.

Curtis Govan Expert

For the AT commands and controlling your device, see the following document.  http://m2m.com/docs/DOC-1007.

-curtis

M2MSuppport .Net Novice

Hi Steve,

You can get a list of AT commands that are common to all modules at M2MSupport.net. In addition to that, each module vendor generally offer extended AT commands for additional functionalities such as FTP, HTTP, Email, TCP etc..

M2MSupport.Net