6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 7:57 PM by Curtis Govan RSS

Forcing a device to choose a specific network

Novice

What is the best way to force a device to choose a specific network over the default preferred network? The “AT” command does not seem to do the trick..

• Re: Forcing a device to choose a specific network
    shak2m Novice

HI AlexS,

Have you tried setting AT+COPS? command? You can set automatic network detection off by sending AT+COPS=1 and then the network name etc. that you want to switch to. You will fidn the numeric or alphanumeric network names or codes when you send an AT+COPS?

Hope this helps

Novice

Thanks for the feedback. I found out that the issue was not with the specific AT command but instead with the roaming restriction that the device was set to. The specific carrier that I was trying to connect to was blocked via the roaming restriction.

Thanks again..

Curtis Govan Expert

An alternative to using AT+COPS=1 is AT+COPS=4; which will select the specified operator, but will fallback to automatic network selection is the manually selected network is rejected or lost.

Cheers,

Curtis

Novice

I ran into another issue where it seems that I have to power cycle the device for it to connect to network “B” after it was previously connected to network “A”.  I am a bit concerned about what will  happen in a real world scenario where signal strength from network “A”  has  deteriorated and connection to network “ B” is required. Power cycling the device is really not a very good option.  Any thoughts, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis Govan Expert

Hi Alex,

I assume you ran into this when using "AT+COPS=1".  If so, this is the main reason you don't want to use this command.  If you lose the network, the module will not connect to other networks.  However, when the module is reset it returns to automatic network selection. DON'T use "AT+COPS=1".

Regards,

Curtis