3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2012 8:34 AM by derrickcalderon RSS

How does AT&T's failed attempt to acquire TMO USA affect M2M?

Curtis Govan Expert

I'm sure you've all heard the news that AT&T discontinued their attempt to acquire TMO USA, AT&T, T-Mobile deal dead, Sprint among the winners.  My question to the M2M community is how does this impact our world?  Without the additional spectrum, does this mean a shorter life span for 2G?

Thanks for your input.

Curtis

• Re: How does AT&T's failed attempt to acquire TMO USA affect M2M?
    Novice

It is hard to predict the overall long term impact at this point; however; given that AT&T is one of the operators that is at the vanguard of the M2M movement, not having this expanded network might hurt slightly. In that same article it pointed out the "mutually beneficial roaming agreement with Deutsche Telekom" so this will to offset any coverage concern with M2M devices. The bottom line is that I am not seeing a huge impact on M2M as a result of this.

Novice

I see it more affecting price and quality of the network. In an attempt to stay afloat there will be a desire to lower overall costs to acquire more users. While to the average person this sounds like a win, in reality not so much so. Forcing the price down can actually lead to a lower quality network. It takes capital, and lots of it to bring additional sites online, or to add coverage and capacity or even maintain a site at current capacity, lowering costs means more users for the same revenue without increasing service availability which in my opinion leads to a lower quality for everyone using the service. It also accelerates the time that operators have to force users to newer technologies, why, because the newer technologies offer much better spectral efficiency. This means more users on the same spectrum you already own. I think we are now in the HOV lane headed for the end of 2G because of this. It was coming before, now it looks more imminent than ever. I hope you are ready for the changes you will need to make to adapt to the newer technologies.

The lifespan of 2G on AT&T is definately done, and they have already started making dramtic steps to put that plan in place.

If you are looking for 2G I would recommend RACO Wireless, they are the Preffered M2M Provider for T-Mobile.  T-Mobile has commited to RACO that they will keep the 2G network going for longterm.

http://www.racowireless.com