8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2011 2:37 PM by Neil McGrath RSS

Is SMS going away?

I've heard SMS will be going away. Does anyone know when?

This causes a concern for us b/c many of our M2M products use TCP/IP connections, but often fall back to using SMS when there is an issue creatinga  TCP/IP connection.

Will MMS be a 100% replacement for SMS?

We currently have the ability to poll our remote units from a web portal. Will we have this same poll-ability if we move to MMS?

• Re: Is SMS going away?
    Apprentice

SMS is NOT going away and will be around for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Sandy

Looks like I got this mixed-up.

We're trying to take our M2M products to countries that have never installed the SMS infrastructure and have been told SMS will never be available in those markets as they're just going straight to MMS. So, this creates a problem for us wanting to us our existing products. If anyone has any further information or advice, I'd appreiciate it.

Apprentice

They would be leaving a huge amount of revenue on the table if they do.  Here is an interesting story I found.

According to a report on mobile messaging by Ireland-based international market research firm Research and Markets, the worldwide mobile messaging market was worth $150 billion in 2009, and this figure will race to $233 billion by the end of 2014.

According to the' Mobile Messaging Futures 2010-2014' report, among the four popular mobile messaging services - SMS, MMS, mobile e-mail and mobile IM (instant messaging) - SMS yielded the highest revenue for operators in 2009 and will continue to do so. In 2014, the firm predicts that SMS will generate more revenue than the collective revenue of the other three services.

Hi guys: both Sandy and Ken are correct.  SMS is here to stay it is not going away.  On the issue of MMS replacing SMS, I do not see that happening for the following reasons.  SMS is the backbone that drives social media and social network sites such as Face Book and Twitter. In each case a text or SMS is sent from one user to another user.  Millions of texts are sent daily from these sites, never mind users texting each other over their mobile phones.

The majority of SMS users have a text plan combined with their mobile device (usually an unlimited text/SMS plan).  Consider this, the Telco’s can charge a sometimes horrendous amount for a MMS compared to a SMS, upwards of $ 2.25 a MMS. As this is cost prohibitive it has not been adopted widely by end users.

Another reason MMS may be left behind is that smart phones have surpassed the need for using MMS.  If one does not already have a smart phone they will be getting one.  Users of smart phones can view multimedia with a simple click on a SMS link or using an app they’ve downloaded to their smart phone.

On the issue some of countries not adapting SMS I would like to know who they are and why.  As it stands now SMS is widely used in developed countries. Developing counties in Africa and South America are also using SMS – so that leaves who?  I believe the person that advised you on this issue may be misinformed.

In the end its like Ken stated, they would be leaving way too much money on the table whether it was for a mobile marketing campaign or an alert system between M2M.

We have seen a few customers use SMS to email solutions like those of www.sms2email.com which help enterprises reduce the need to support yet another service -- eg SMPP binds or SMS gateways. However, the need for SMS as a backup is surely helpful & very few chances that it will be removed. Surely carriers may charge differently for SMS on m2m rate plans, than regular consumer rate plans.

Harald Naumann Expert

Will MMS be a 100% replacement for SMS?

Never because MMS is useless for M2M devices that has to save power like the ultra light bird tracker or bike tracker at the pictures as below. SMS charges much less power. SMS I can send and receive by using of the Idle Mode of a GSM module. Idle mode means 1,5 mA and I am still able to receive a message. By using of MMS based on GPRS the current in  receiving mode is 20 mA.

Bike GSM GPS tracker with further protection on ANT+ or Bluetooth Low Energy

http://www.gsm-modem.de/M2M/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/smartphone-bike-GPS-GSM-tracker.jpg

Ultra Light GSM / GPS tracker for birds, bank notes, assets ...

http://www.gsm-modem.de/M2M/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/gsm-gps-tracker-birds.png

If someone is interested in whole BOM for the mentioned applications, then do not hestiate to send an email to harald.naumann (at) gsm-modem.de

Hi, no SMS is not going away, but there will be replacements for the GSM channel coming in the near future.

The fact that M2M devices use the "shoulder tap" to restart communications is only one way that SMS is used, and an example of why SMS will be with us for many years.

when designing the modules for deployment in the next 6-9 months, i would still support SMS as a bearer - until dual channel communications are stabilized . I.e. until LTE and 3G can co-exist within the module and the coverage maps will allow restarts via an LTE bearer.