13 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 8:27 AM by jose musa RSS

APN Change?

Is is common for the APN to change, once you've deployed a unit?  Is there any reason to make the APN updatable or should it be hardcoded on the unit?

Keesha

• Re: APN Change?

I don't know if it's "common" for the APN to change, but it definitely can and does happen.  There's no reason not to make the APN dynamically updateable.  There's no harm in it and you could potentially save yourself a LOT of headache and frustration down the road.

Thanks, Rob

Novice

I can't think of too many reasons why you would change an APN for devices already deployed to the field. If there was a server change, which is more common, the APN routing can be easily changed. This is much less work than changing a setting on the device side for devices already in the field. Also note that if you wanted to change to a new APN for a second generation product, the new APN could be routed over the same path as the original APN.

-Tim R

All true.  But I have seen APN changes happen and it's obviously much easier to deal with if you can simply make an OTA change to the device.

Rob

Apprentice

I would suggest you make all variable parameters (APN, Server IP/hostname, timers etc) configurable via SMS commands. Slightly more effort in design and implementation initialy but you will be so glad you did once you have thousands of units deployed and then one of those parameters must be changed.

MarkT Apprentice

I'd agree with the last comment.  Generally, it is good practice to give yourself as much flexibility as you can when initially deploying - anything you can do OTA has a good chance of saving you a costly site visit in the future.

Apprentice

Here are a couple of reasons a new APN name be required.  Most carriers implement a SIZE allocation for a single APN network.down the road you may actually hit that sizing limitation and be required to implement a secondary APN name.  At that point in your business it may make since that customer type "A" traffic be routed to APN 1. If you have a mix of customers then you may need to change some of them, because of this reason.  What if by good fortune are acquired or acquire another company.  It may be good practice or business need to change the APN at that time. The point is, there are a number of reasons, both foreseen and not that could require an APN change.  You best bet is to be able to do it remotely.  

Thanks, all.  It sounds like remotely updatable is the way to go.  I have legacy project where the APN is hardcoded.  I'll have to see how hard it will be to change it.

Keesha

Novice

APN can be changed via AT command and no need hard coding.

We are making stand-alone 3G router  in Korea, APN  can be changed vir router's web

Why APN needs to be changed in Korea

- One ISP provides two APN

one is for private IP networks ( when modem is connected with APN#1, ISP provides private IP Address)

another is for public  IP networks ( when modem is connected with APN#1, ISP provides public  IP Address)

- Depends on our clients application, they config the APN at our system's WEB pages

MarkT Apprentice

Hi Alex,

interesting - does your public IP solution give you a real routable internet address, or is it just an APN that gives direct internet access, but the device just gets a private NAT'd address? I'm interested in finding out why people might need real public IP addresses.

A few customers that use routers for Wireless Backup find they need to use Public Static IP addressess

Novice

The main need for public static IP addresses is that the server side application needs to know the IP address of the SIM. Alternatively, in situations where an APN is built with private dynamic IP addressess a device side VPN created to the server side network environment would resolve the need to have public static IP's.

Novice

Hi  Mark

Please refer belows for the IP address. It is examples one korea ISP sides

and explained with HUAWEI's 3G Modeul with dash board ( PC's connection manager")

1.  Normal PC connection via 3G

PC <----> 3G Modem <--------3G network ------>

" Private IP address from ISP side "

1) PC's "dash board" run

2) set "APN" as   internet.xxxx.com   

3) ppp connection is normaly done, and PC get the private IP address from the ISP

" Pulblic IP address from ISP side "

1) PC's "dash board" run

2) set "APN" as   publicip.xxxx.com   

3) ppp connection is normaly done, and PC get the public IP address from the ISP

2. This kinds of policy may different from each country and each ISP(Internet Service Provider)

So, if you need public IP address then contact you country's ISP first.

3. We are Router company and our client use our router for the public address

and Router and connected devices are managed from remode hosts.

Thanks

I'm working with Telit GL865 module, I have downloaded a script whitch has a APN variable into module. I'm looking for a way to change the APN at distance because we plan future changes in the APN.

I read that you know how to change it using SMS/AT RUN (AT commands), I searched the manual but can not think how to do this.

Could you please help me?

Thanks!!