4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 3:24 PM by Rodney Hannah RSS

Telit GC864-Quad GSM Serial Comms

Hi All

I bought a Telit GC864-Quad GSM modem, tried to connect to it via normal RS232 and a USB to serial converter and still cant get comms with it. Is there anybody that can help.

Thanks

• Re: Telit GC864-Quad GSM Serial Comms

This is Ken Bednasz from Telit and I can help you.

Are you using a Telit EVK2 kit?  Are the 10 jumpers set to RS-232 and are you trying to send AT commands over the top RS-232 connector.

Also please ensure the module is powered ON by holding the ON_OFF button for 1 second.  You should see the STAT LED blinking.

I would also recommend sending details on your issue to TS-NorthAmerica@telit.com for technical support.  We would also like to know where you purchased your module from so we can setup proper support channel for your design team.

BR

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for the reply, I am not using the Telit EVK2 kit, I am just bulding it on a bread board. I managed to turn the power on, monitored the power on pin. I tried to get serial comms using a MAX3237CIA and then a FT323RL USB to serial converter but did not get anything through hyperterminal. I send the board back to RFDesign in South Africa today for them to test if I blew anything. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Can I contact you in the future for some more support, I am really interested in developing with your product.

Chris

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:01:45 -0600

To: c.briedenhann@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Telit GC864-Quad GSM Serial Comms

Telit GC864-Quad GSM Serial Comms reply from Ken Bednasz in Developer Central - View the full discussion

This is Ken Bednasz from Telit and I can help you.

Are you using a Telit EVK2 kit?  Are the 10 jumpers set to RS-232 and are you trying to send AT commands over the top RS-232 connector.

Also please ensure the module is powered ON by holding the ON_OFF button for 1 second.  You should see the STAT LED blinking.

I would also recommend sending details on your issue to TS-NorthAmerica@telit.com for technical support.  We would also like to know where you purchased your module from so we can setup proper support channel for your design team.

BR

Ken

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on M2M.com

Start a new discussion in Developer Central at M2M.com

Harald Naumann Expert

Hi Chris,

What about to use the Arduino plus adapter board with GE864-Quad and GPS module.

Test as below I got at http://ow.ly/2T00t

GSM-GPRS-GPS-Shield for Arduino-Board Duemilanove (ATmega328)

… the extension module for GSM (mobile communication) and GPS(navigation)

Arduino Shied with GSM and GPS module
        Arduino Shied with GSM and GPS module

The open-source physical computing platform Arduino,  based on easily applicable hardware and software for the development of prototypes, consists of a micro controller (ATmega328) with numerous digital as well as analog inputs and outputs and interfaces…  Arduino boards can be expanded to valuable features by plugging the so-called ”Shields”. With the GSM/GPRS/GPS-Shield the  Arduino board is enabled to use GSM (mobile communication) and GPS functionality (navigation), for example

• to identifiy the current position via GPS and send it via SMS
        • send an alert
        • to track a travel route and send it via GPRS

The GSM/GPRS/GPS-Shield is plugged as ”primary” shield on top of the Arduino board, ensuring that the antenna of the integrated GPS receiver has “free view”. The communication between the two boards is achieved via the serial interface (GSM/GPRS) and SPI (GPS). Any standard ***** mount GSM antenna types (stubby, magnetic mount, adhesive mount) with SMA connectors can be used. Demo programs, drivers and libraries for operating the  GSM/GPRS/GPS-Shield are of course included.

Technical Features

General

• operating voltage 5VDC … 9VDC
        • requires the Arduino board “Duemilanove” (ATmega328)

GSM

• integrated wireless module: Telit GE864-QUAD
        • GSM-, GPRS-, CSD enabled
        • used with pre-paid or contract SIM cards of all providers, no SIM lock
        • control via serial interface (TTL level), antenna connector: SMA

GPS

• GPS module:
        • internal supply voltage: 3,3V
        • control via SPI

Arduino has a great fan community.. and of course their own website with many example applications as well as an extensive forum   → http://www.arduino.cc

Manufacturing and Product Development “Made in Germany”, i. e. Unlike many other products in computer equipment, we provide a long time availability.

Prices:

GSM/GPRS/GPS-Shield:  126,05 €
        optional Arduino-Board “Duemilanove” :22,44 €
        optional GSM Antenna “AT-TG.09.0113″ : 9,92 €
        optional Power Supply: 8,40 €
        GSM/GPRS/GPS-Shield – Kit  (incl. a. m. items): 158,82 €
        excl. VAT. plus Postage.

More about the evaluation kit and other kits at http://ow.ly/2T00t

Incase you did not get your modem working here is an alternate GSM solution.

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/gtm_201_rs232.html?r=rodney http://www.icpdas-usa.com/gtm_201_rs232.html?r=rodney

Rodney Hannah

Sales Engineer

ICP DAS USA, Inc.  |  P
    888.971.9888  |  D  310.517.9888 x 118 |  F

E  rodneyh@icpdas-usa.com
    W  www.icpdas-usa.com