4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2010 1:47 AM by veinblz RSS

Integrated device

Hi ,

this is my first post in this forum, so excuse me if i overlook some norms.

i'm trying to rollout the cheapest solution possible for about 50 units to have m2m connectivity.

here's my product detail

arch arm

i'm thinking of getting some usb gsm modules to start with and then perhaps go with a Telit module.

Q1)  if i use say this telit module would i still need to go through the PTCRB.

what other certification do i need to go through.

Q2) what other options do i have, continue using usb modems ?

Q3) if yes can u suggest some that easy to maintain and not costly.

Q4) i just bought this usb modem from newegg what do you think ?

any other insights would be helpful.

TIA !

• Re: Integrated device

Forgot to mention

does this device http://www.armkits.com/product/GPRS8000-S.asp need ptcrb or any other cert ???

any thought  if you have experience with this device would also be helpful.

Hi ,

Q1)  if i use say this telit module would i still need to go through the PTCRB.

what other certification do i need to go through.

A1) Yes you would still need to go through the PTCRB certification process as an integration and a prerequisite of that would be FCC but for a modem integration this is quite easy. Depending on operator choice there may be some additional certification implications e.g AT&T would require additional certification beyond PTCRB and FCC. The PTCRB testing will cover a minimum of RSE and OTA performance, depending on which modem you choose you may also need SIM electrical tests but these are only applicable to modules without onboard SIM holders. You need to ensure you follow the module integration guidelines to the letter.

Depending on your application you may need additional testing for PTCRB such as audio if you support speech calls and some application tests for functions such as emergency calls etc.

Q2) what other options do i have, continue using usb modems ?

A2) There are several form factors you can consider depending generally on your customers needs and size requirements, PCI express is now a quite common form factor or you could just use a mobile terminal i.e. a module that has it support electronics and housing already provided.

Q3) if yes can u suggest some that easy to maintain and not costly

A3) The answer to this one would vary depending on the application needs i.e. do you need 3G connectivity and transfer speeds? Which network are you looking at? (Some networks require additonal modem certification and not all of them have these)

Important points to consider are what remote management is needed? how do you deal with firmware updates in the field? is battery life an issue?

Q4) i just bought this usb modem from newegg what do you think ?

A4) This could work depending on your application needs and planned future volumes.

Best wishes

Stuart

RFI Global Services Ltd.

Ashwood Park, Basingstoke, England, RG23 8BG

E-mail:stuart.thomas@rfi-global.com

Web Site: www.rfi-global.com

1) I recommend using a Motorola module - they are cost effective and can perform accordingly to your requirments. Also, Motorola and Adaptive Modules can assist you with all certifications needed with your application.

2) As Stuart said above, another popular option would be using a 3G Mini PCI Express card; it is available in 3G (HSPA/HSDPA) and GSM/GPRS - again this depends on your application requirments.

3) Yes I can suggest something easy and cost effective simply visit www.adaptivem2m.com for more info on our range gsm/gprs/3g modems and wireless modules.

If you have any queries please let me know.

Jon