13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 3:56 AM by Curtis Govan RSS

Requirements for BAP Test on M2M Cards

If I were to do a BAP test on M2M cards, what tests would I need to perform on it? I've previously done this for Regular SIM cards, and it involved things like testing SMSing capabilities, sizes of various files etc. how will performing one on an M2M card be any different? what additional capabilities will need to be tested?

• Re: Requirements for BAP Test on M2M Cards

You should expect to do similar tests on an m2m card as for any regular SIM card. If anything, the scope may be a little less. For example, most m2m devices do not worry about voice, and certainly do not worry about voice mail, customer service numbers and other entries in the ADN file. So you can probably not worry about that one.

One thing I would recommend - have an FPLMN clearing applet on the SIM and test it. As you may know, when a SIM is rejected by a network, the MCC-MNC of the network may be added to the FPLMN list on the SIM, depending on the reason for the rejection. In automatic network selection mode, a device will never again try to register on that network. A regular phone has the option for the user to do a manual network selection, even if the network is listed on the FPLMN list. An m2m device is not a regular phone and may not even have a UI. Therefore, an m2m device is unlikely to be able to do a manual network selection and may get blocked from a given network forever. Most SIM vendors can provide a SIM applet that will clear the FPLMN list contents so that you can avoid this potential problem.

Donieme,

Thanks for your reply! In the past, we've never had to include such an applet, probably because we've only dealt with regular GSM SIMs that had a predefined PLMN and FPLMN list. For M2M SIMs, I understand that updating the FPLMN may be required, but, considering that the FPLMN in our case consists of all networks besides our own in this country, shouldn't we not be facing such an issue?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks. 

The FPLMN list is populated automatically by the device whenever it is rejected by a visited network. If you are sure that a device will never roam outside your own network and you are sure that your company will never merge with a competitor or acquire one, then you can do without the applet. I know, however, of cases where one operator acquired another, but all the SIMs of the acquirer had then the network of the acquired in the FPLMN list. The SIMs could not get at the acquired network. Possible to overcome with a phone through manual network selection, provided you educate all the users - very difficult to overcome with an M2M device. Hence, I still recommend the applet as insurance.

Donieme,

What if we have Remote File Management (RFM) capabilities on our network? Do you think the need for this applet would then be eliminated?

Thanks, for your replies!

I recommend the FPLMN clearing applet regardless of support for remote file management.

Donieme,

Once again, thanks for your response. If such an applet were to be included, how would it be triggered, given that M2M devices have no interface. Further, do you think there are other files that might need to be updated? Consider the scenario where OTA technology is not included on the M2M card.

First of all, I strongly recommend that the card and the device support OTA. It is not something you can just add afterwards to a device in the field. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not be able to have it.

Now, as for an FPLMN clearing applet, there are several ways to make this work - none of which require any OTA. Consider, for example, an applet that simply clears the content of EFfplmn at SIM reset. Or an applet that clears the content of EFfplmn directly after the ME has written an entry to EFfplmn. Most SIM vendors have applets like this.

Hope this helps.

Actually, we just ran into a snag with M2M cards vs. Regular SIM cards when it came to TIS testing.  Come to find out, the carrier needed to do some OTA provisioning changes to modify the M2M Sim as it wasn't the same.  There was a SIM field that needed to be modified.

Here is the relevant SIM field which needs to be modified:

A4.3.16       EFAD (Administrative data)

File size:         3 bytes

Default values Byte 1:   10000000 - (type approval operations)  

Basically, setting EF_AD to Type approval will allow the UE to enter loop-back mode, which is needed for TIS.  If you need more info on the loopback mode, you can locate it in 3GPP TS 44.014 Section 5.1.4 (loop mode C.) The parameters are described in TS 51.010-1 Annex 4. (In case you wanted to know.)

So, they aren't exactly the same when it comes to testing.  Another thing is that carriers are having an issue when it comes to some waivers for PTCRB for tests that can't be done on an M2M SIM.

Best Regards,

Dan