4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 4:35 AM by Alan Wade RSS

Linux vs CE vs Android

Novice

I'm starting to see Android gaining momentum as the OS for mobile devices in the M2M world. I wanted to post a question to the M2M developer community: Which operating system are you using and what were the primary reasons for choosing that OS? What other OS options did you consider?

I'm anxious to hear the feedback. Thanks for your input.

-Tim R

• Re: Linux vs CE vs Android

Tim,

First you have to define "Linux" because there are MANY different variants of Linux.  QNX, uItron, open source, etc., etc., etc.,   On embedded hardware most silicon vendors provide a BSP (board support package) with drivers for their silicon on recent Linux kernel releases, and we've noticed that even though Android is gaining momentum, its still too "handset oriented" for embedded applications.  Really if you don't have a GUI, you don't need Android because there is a more code out their for Linux and associated drivers.   Really, until all the silicon vendors out there start releasing Android BSP's, its not worth the effort (and nobody wants to pay the NRE) to deploy with Android.

Dan Daogaru

Principal Electrical & Systems Engineer

Systems on Chip LLC

Harald Naumann Expert

Linux vs CE vs Android

Or maybe

Linux vs CE vs Android vs embedded Windows vs QNX vs Symbian

Have you seen the blog of Symbian?

Build Your Own Phone…

Why not? What is preventing the independent developer community taking full advantage of the

platform? Well, that could be a rather long list, but I am going to single out one very basic issue

– lack of a proper open hardware/open software development vehicle, that is, reference

hardware with a relevant processor, and of course… a MODEM!

We have seen that the best way to engage with independent developers has been through a

truly open hardware platform like the BeagleBoard, where the data sheet is not secret and the

base port is available in source code form. This had to be the starting point if we were going to

do something about modems. Having a truly open modem is still a step further; the cost of

development of the stack, including the conformance and safe for network testing makes it

nearly impossible for the weekend enthusiast. Don’t despair though, there are solutions other

than porting Symbian to the HTC ADP1 or the Nokia N900… off-the-shelf GSM/UMTS modules.

http://blog.symbian.org/author/dalarub/

An Introduction to the Symbian System Model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeBT3cri2C4

My partner local German partner developed an adapter board for the 3G modem listed here on

my website here http://www.gsm-modem.de/umts-module.html . We used the Telit UC864-G.

The adapter is designed for UC864-G (3G), GC864 (2G) and for CC864 (CDMA).

On iX-day (2th. June 2010 in Stuttgart Germany) I will present it. The speech listed on my

homepage http://www.gsm-modem.de :

“Open Source in M2M. Examples with Linux, Symbian and 3G Modem”

My offer to M2M developers: Ask for personal meeting or copy of the speech in English or

German language by email now.

The BeagleBoard is open source and supports the operating systems as blow:

• Ångström Distribution
    • Android
    • Symbian
    • QNX Neutrino
    • ARM Linux Internet Platform
    • Ubuntu
    • Debian
    • Windows Embedded from TI BSP
    • 0xdroid

The operating system of Nokia phones will move to wireless M2M. I will keep the community posted.

Alan Wade Novice

How many of you have strived to put android programming in your resumes? I am sure, a lot of you. If not, then my friends, I should say it’s high time; every programmer should start playing with android. If you’ve read programming blogs before, you’ll understand the term ‘playing’. In a programmer’s world, you can only play on open source platforms; this is one of the key reasons why android is one of the largest growing markets in the industry. Vital it is, that Android had 26% of the total users, beating I-phone for the first time, in the month of November, 2010. The stats come in the courtesy of comScore MobiLens. This number of users tells us about the intensity of application development in this field. All of the progress invites data theft, as more and more business purpose applications are being run on android. This data-theft can be strongly reduced by Android’s powerful connection with VPN. So, if you’re an android user, let Pure VPN help you coming up with the best VPN Android connection for your android sets.