1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 16, 2009 8:56 PM by Tim Reiter RSS

Guidelines to deploy connected devices

Dear community members,

As a product manager working for a consumer electronics company, and newly appointed as program manager for our future portfolio of connected devices, I would like to get some guidelines from you.

Is there any key point I need to bear in mind when evaluating embedded connectivity opportunity?

Regards,

Umberto

• Re: Guidelines to deploy connected devices
    Novice

One word- certification. If you don't have experience with antenna performance and connectivity, it's worthwhile to get help either from a reputable consultant or from the module manufacturer. I am starting to see a few M2M antenna design consultants out there, but I haven't yet worked with a customer that has used them. If you struggle with your antenna design and performance, it will delay your launch and could cost you a lot of money if you have to go through PTCRB/FCC certification more than once.

Also, keep in mind that many carriers have pre-certified modules, and if you don't select a module from their pre-certified list, it can delay your launch and cost you a lot of money.

It might seem easy to attach an antenna to a CE device and have it connect, but more than half of the customers that I work with struggle with this, don't pass certification, and never launch their product.

-Tim R